Movie Gun Services LLC •

Specialists in Heavy Weapon Blanked Firearms and Pyro Special Effects for the entertainment industry since 1985

Mascot |
Terms of Service | Image Disclaimer | Privacy Notice | / | / | / | /
NYC Gun Props | NYC Prop Gun Laws | NYC Weapon Laws/ | / | / | / |
NYS Prop Gun Laws | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | |
Canadian Gun Props | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | |

Prop Gun Deaths

Friday October 12th, 1984
Jon-Erik Hexum died on the set of the CBS television show COVER UP.
The show was being filmed at Twentieth Century Fox lot in Century City, when he accidentally shot himself. The character he was playing was a weapons expert whose cover was that of a fashion show photographer.
During a scene where he is lying in bed, in between takes, he was playing around with a .44 Magnum revolver that was on-set for use as a blank-fire. Shortly after 5:15 p.m. he put the pistol (according to witnesses, it was loaded with three empty cartridges and two blanks) up to his right temple. As he pulled the trigger he smiled, and supposedly said, "Let's see if I got myself with this one." He was apparently unaware that at close range, a blank can cause great damage. The explosion drove a quarter-sized piece of his skull far into his brain. The paper wadding of the straight-walled blank cartridge went straight into his temple and forced a bone chip to lodge in his brain.
A witness' account stated: "John smiled and pulled the trigger. There was a loud bang and a bright flash, then black smoke. Jon screamed in agony, and then looked kind of amazed as he slumped back onto the bed with blood streaming from a severe head wound. It was horrible." Another witness said, "One of the assistants rushed over to Jon with a towel and wrapped it around his head, trying to stop the blood."
Someone called an ambulance, but before it arrived, several of the crew carried Jon out to one of the studio station wagons, and drove him to the old Beverly Hills Medical Center. According to the autopsy report, , it states, "The deceased (Hexum) is a male 26 years old, who shot himself in the head with a prop handgun at a movie studio. Initially, a hospital spokesperson stated that his condition was "serious," but after five hours of surgery, they pronounced his condition as "critical." Six days later on Thursday October 18th, he was still in a coma, and they pronounced him brain dead. With his mother's permission, Hexum was flown to San Francisco's Pacific Medical Center, still on life support, and his heart was transplanted into the body of a dying 36-year-old Las Vegas escort service owner. They also took his kidneys and corneas. The kidneys were sent to the Southern California Transplant Bank, in LA. The corneas went to a 66-year-old man with cataracts. Hexum's family and friends, including his girlfriend Elizabeth Daily, gathered at the hospital to say good-bye.

March 31, 1993,
Brandon Lee died in a tragic onset accident.

Lee was on the threshold of becoming a star when he was killed on the set of The Crow. The movie was a violent fantasy film about a rock musician who's murdered by thugs and returns from the dead to avenge his death. Lee had paid his dues, perfecting his craft in low-budget martial arts films like Legacy of Rage and Showdown in Little Tokyo. He garnered his first starring role in 1992 action film Rapid Fire and had signed a three-picture deal with Twentieth Century Fox.
Lee believed that his role in The Crow would be his big break and poured his considerable energy and enthusiasm into the project, which was being shot in 58 grueling days to keep the production under its $14-million budget.

It was being filmed at Carolco Studios (now Screen Gems) in Wilmington, North Carolina. The set was plagued by numerous accidents before and during filming. On the first day of shooting, February 1, 1993, a carpenter was severely shocked and received serious burns when the scissors lift he was driving came into contact with high-voltage power lines. On March 13 heavy storms destroyed some of the elaborate sets causing delays. Later a prop master discovered a live round in one of the prop guns and an enraged carpenter drove his car into the studio's plaster shop. Also a worker was injured when a screwdriver was accidentally driven through his own hand and a stuntman fell through the roof of one of the sets, breaking several ribs.

As filming finally neared completion, eight days from wrap to be exact, yet another accident would rock the slipshod production. Several prop masters, in an attempt to save time and money, made a grave decision regarding some bullet cartridges that were to be used for a scene involving a close-up shot of a handgun being fired. During the scene, the gun was loaded with "dummy" cartridges, which are used for close-up shots because they contain the actual projectile on the end of the cartridge but contain no gunpowder. (It looks more realistic if the viewer can see the bullet tips in the pistol's cylinders.) It seems that the prop department didn't have any of these "dummy" cartridges on hand, so rather than shut down the production for the night, some Bozo decided that he'd "rig" some of the live rounds. They removed the gunpowder from the cartridges and replaced the bullet tips thereby giving them the "dummy' rounds that were needed for the close-up shots. At some point, one of the tips would unknowingly come loose from the cartridge and lodge itself in the barrel or cylinder of the handgun. (The subsequent investigation never conclusively determined how or why the bullet tip came dislodged.) This seemingly innocuous oversight would set up the tragic event that ended up shutting down production. As shooting of the close-up scenes finally wrapped, it was now time to move on to the scene in question. Cameras were rolling when the incident occurred on Day 50 of the schedule. It was just after midnight on April 1. It would call for a wide shot of Brandon's character being shot from a handgun that was loaded with "blank" cartridges. In the scene, a flashback illustrating how Lee's character is killed before coming back to life, Lee walks through a doorway and surprises two punks who are raping his girlfriend.. These blanks were loaded into the handgun not knowing that somewhere in the barrel or cylinder; there was a whole or piece of a dislodged bullet. The scene went according to plan. "Blank" cartridges are different from "dummy" cartridges in that the blanks are loaded with highly explosive powder to give the handgun the smoke and muzzle flash associated with having fired a live round.

Filming was taking place in Eric (Brandon's character) and Shelley's apartment. The scene called for Brandon to enter a room where actor Michael Massee was to shoot him from a distance of 15 to 20 feet with the prop gun, a fully functioning .44-magnum revolver allegedly loaded with blanks. Brandon, wearing black leather jacket and boots, and a T-shirt bearing the prophetic phrase "Hangman's Joke" entered the room carrying a sack of groceries. As the revolver fired, Brandon set off the "squib" which is supposed to simulate bullets hitting the grocery bag. Brandon then collapsed to the floor, remained unattended until the director, an Australian named Alex Proyas, yelled, "Cut!" When he didn't get up, crew members finally noticed his distress, bleeding profusely from his right side. Many later commented that they noticed he did not hit the floor in the same manner as he had in rehearsals. Brandon groaned and signaled with his arm that he was hit but everyone was too busy with his individual roles to notice. The director yells "cut" but Brandon doesn't get up. Initially it was believed that Lee was somehow struck by a fragment from a squib, the small explosive device used to simulate a bullet impact. The squib was wired into a grocery sack that Lee was carrying during his final scene. Only after pathologists pulled a .44-caliber bullet from his body did people make the connection between the prop gun and Lee's demise.

Brandon was rushed by ambulance to the nearby New Hanover regional Medical Center in Wilmington located at 2131 S. 17th Street. Upon his arrival he still had vital signs and it was decided to perform emergency surgery to stop the bleeding. The bullet created a quarter-sized hole in his lower right abdomen before perforating his stomach and several more vital organs. The "bullet" finally came to a rest next to his spine.

The doctors couldn't stop the severe internal hemorrhaging. He died in the hospital at 1:03 PM on March 31st, 1993, 12 plus hours after the shooting. The investigation determined that the tip of the "dummy" shell had come dislodged and remained in the barrel unnoticed. The "blank" cartridge fired with enough force to propel the broken bullet tip out the barrel and into Brandon.

The official cause of death is listed as gunshot wound of the abdomen. His body was flown back to Washington State where he was buried on April 3rd next to his father in Lake View Cemetery. The next day a memorial service was held at his actress friend, Polly Bergen's house in the Hollywood hills where many celebrities attended including David Carradine, Kiefer Sutherland, David Hasselhoff, Lou Diamond Phillips and Steven Seagal.

Ironically, due to the inordinate number of scenes involving gunfire, a special firearms consultant was hired to ensure the proper safety standards were followed. The Crow was eventually finished and was released on May 11, 1994, Surprisingly, or not, the film did quite well at the box office with a final total of over $50 million.
During the police investigation, detectives examined a plastic bag that contained the unloaded handgun and the spent shell casing. They later found that one of the "dummy" shells in the gun's case was missing its tip. The District Attorney's office apparently thought so. Authorities dismissed the possibility of premeditated murder and declined to charge any crew member with criminal neglect. The production company, Crowvision, may still be forced to pay unspecified fine for its part in the tragedy, and Linda Lee Cadwell, Brandon's mother, is suing several parties, including Crowvision and its parent company, Edward R. Pressman Film Corp, for negligence in her son's "agonizing pain, suffering and untimely death." The scenario outlined in Cadwell's lawsuit suggests that a bullet was accidentally lodged in the barrel of the weapon when the gun was used in the filming of a scene several weeks earlier. The bullet remained wedged in the barrel until it was propelled by blank ammunition into Brandon's stomach during the fateful scene on April 1, according to Cadwell's lawsuit.

The lawsuit alleges that the bullet was jammed into the barrel because crew members improperly manufactured their own dummy bullets (used in close-ups of the handgun) from live ammunition rather than waiting to buy them from a licensed firearms dealer. To create a makeshift dummy bullet from live ammunition, crew members would have pried the bullet tip from the casing and emptied the gunpowder. Then the tip would have been reattached to the empty casing, creating an impotent but realistic-looking cartridge. Because primer (the combustible powder that ignites the gunpowder would still remain in the cartridge, the weapons handler would fire the gun until all of the primers had been detonated. According to one publication's explanation of the incident, the primer in one of the dummy bullets was left intact although a weapons handler fired the pistol several times to detonate the primers. Moreover, the magazine asserts that this dummy bullet contained enough gunpowder residues to cause an explosive burst strong enough to drive the bullet tip into the barrel.

An actor who used the firearm in an earlier scene is alleged to have test-fired the gun, causing the small explosion that lodged the bullet into the barrel. When the dummy bullets were removed from the revolver's cylinder, no one apparently found it remarkable that one of them was missing its tip.
Although this scenario has been embraced by some publications and the Cadwell family, some gun experts remain skeptical.

"I really have my doubts," says Bob Forker, the technical editor for Guns & Ammo magazine. The problem with that scenario, he explains, is that primer and gunpowder residue wouldn't provide enough explosive power to drive a bullet completely into the barrel. The rifling of the barrel, which is necessary to impart spin on the bullet, creates a very strong resistance, Forker says. The implausible combination of alleged oversights by the crew also bothers Forker. Each miscue alleged in the lawsuit could have been nullified by an observant crew member at any point during the fateful chain of events. Yet time after time the crew apparently ignored strict gun-handling procedures and safety checks that should have been second nature to them.

In Wilmington, North Carolina, where Lee's shooting took place, District Attorney Jerry Spivey said he found no evidence that anyone intended to harm the young actor after examining the police report compiled by homicide investigators. Wilmington Detective Brian Pettus said the six-week probe into Lee's death involved over 700 man-hours of investigation. Altogether, about 3,000 pages of notes were compiled and approximately 50 people were interviewed, said Pettus. No indictments were handed down.

Brandon was 28 years old




August 2003
Actor Kills Fellow Actor with "Prop" Gun
Mexican actor Antonio Velasco was killed on the set of a film being shot south of Mexico City when a prop gun being used by another actor turned out to have been loaded with real bullets instead of blanks. Flavio Peniche, the actor who fired the gun, was later arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and released on $40,000 bail. News reports said that Peniche had run to Velasco after realizing that he had shot him and tried to help. Another report said that Eduardo Martinez Sanchez, a producer of the film, titled The Scorpion's Vengeance, and a prop manager known as El Cepillo, disappeared after the incident.
Although not related to a Prop-Gun directly, an important event none the less!

Tony Dwain

Anthony Dwain Lee (July 17, 1971 – October 28, ) was an African-American actor through the 1990s. He was shot to death by LAPD officer Terriel Hopper under mysterious circumstances during a party while wielding a toy gun. LAPD Officer Terriel Hopper was summoned to a Halloween party by neighbors who were complaining about the noise. When he entered the residence to locate the owner, he shined his flashlight on Lee. Lee, thinking the officer was another costumed partygoer, playfully pointed his toy gun at the officer. The officer fired nine shots, four of which struck Lee in the back and head, killing him instantly.
One possible scenario is that the officer's first five shots missed completely, giving Lee time to turn around into a defensive back-facing posture before the final shots hit him.
The police investigation concluded that the shooting was a justified reaction by the officer, who mistakenly believed the costume gun to be real.
About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us |
Search Query

©1994-2015 Movie Gun Services LLC. All Rights Reserved -

moviegunservices™ and MGS ™ are trademarks in continuous use. seeks to ensure that all content and information published at this Web site is current and accurate.
The information at does not in any way constitute legal or professional advice and cannot be held liable for actions arising from its use. In total of all content of this internet entity is not intended for public purview or examination. This is an internal information and corporate records storage device intended for viewing by agents, employees and/or representatives of this website's owner of record. No other use by anyone else is authorized. In addition, cannot be held responsible for the contents of any externally linked pages or the actions taken by any entity which views this information.

All copyrights and trademarks shown are the property of their respective owners.
Any and all pricing shown is for internal use only and subject to change without notice.